How can I use hashtags effectively on social media?
What is the best usage of hashtags on social media?
Are hashtags important and why?
And how many hashtags should I use per post?
Frequently asked questions for me as a business development director especially for my new clients so I wish I could answer these questions here:)
What are hashtags #:
Hashtags refer to the usage of the pound or number symbol, “#,” to mark a keyword or topic on social media. Hashtags originated on Twitter and have since become common on Instagram, Facebook and other social media platforms.
Importance of Hashtags:
Simply put, a hashtag is an easy way for people to categorize, find and join conversations on a particular topic. And Hashtags help you to find your right target audience as well
Hashtags Best Practice
- You have to be specific and choose relevant hashtags for your industry.
- The recommended limit for hashtags is 6 letters or fewer.
- Don’t overuse or spam hashtags.
One of the best ways to find out if a hashtag has any traction is to simply do a hashtag search using Facebook graph search — Ravi Shukle
- Check For Uniqueness. If you’re going to start a new hashtag and plan to use it regularly, then make sure it’s unique.
- Keep them short.
- Use trends wisely.
- Understand hashtag use on different sites.
- Track hashtags.
- Use capitals when you need them.
- Use the same hashtags on all your platforms.
Use tools like Hashtagify. me to find other trending hashtags related to your specific tag — Janet Johnson
How many Hashtags should I use per post?
before answering this question, let’s look at results from a study by Social Bakers, which examined how Facebook engagement correlates with hashtag use.
- Posts with 1 or 2 hashtags averaged 593 interactions.
- Posts with 3 to 5 hashtags averaged 416 interactions.
- Posts with 6 to 10 hashtags averaged 307 interactions.
- Posts with more than 10 hashtags averaged 188 interactions.
So, two hashtags per post are more than enough if the hashtags are well selected.
Written by Abeer El-leithy